Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sunday Recipe

OK, so I have had this book for a while, but I haven't actually used it yet, until now. It is absolutely the greatest recipe book ever! It's called:

It's a great way to get your kids to eat vegetables, without even knowing it! Her whole theory is to puree the vegetables and use them in some common recipe's.


You must get this book! I have now fallen in love with steaming my vegetables. All of the nutrients stay in the vegetable and then they are super easy to puree after. I steamed some cauliflower today to use in this recipe I will share with you, and my daughter thought it was mashed potatoes. She ate it and thought it was SO "yummy".

My daughter eats vegetables just fine, but what a great way to sneak in some extra every once and a while. Here is a great recipe I made last night.



Chicken Alphabet Soup
(With Cauliflower and Sweet Potato)

Prep: 45 minutes Serves 8

Ingredients:
♥3 qts reduced-fat low sodium chicken broth
♥1 chicken breast on the bone (about 1/2 lb) rinsed and dried, skin removed (I used 2 breasts for more chicken)
♥1/2 tsp salt
♥1/2 cup alphabet pasta (or pinwheels, since I couldn't find the letters)
♥1/4 cup cauliflower puree (steam cauliflower for 8-10 minutes, then puree)
♥1/4 cup sweet potato puree (steam sweet potato with skin for 30 minutes, remove skin and puree)

Directions:

1. Bring broth to a boil in large pot. Sprinkle chicken with salt, carefully slide it into the broth. Immediately turn off the heat and let the chicken cook in heated broth for 25-30 minutes.

2. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and let cool on plate for a few minutes, until cool enough to handle. Then pull meat off the bone and cut into small pieces (I shredded mine into strips) set aside.

3. Bring broth back to a simmer and add pasta. Stir in both puree's and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until pasta is ready. Toss in chicken and serve hot.

This was a great recipe, and fairly easy to make. My daughter loved it and Husband ate it with Parmesan triscuits.

Enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. I've seen this around for a while but haven't picked it up yet. I have to say the soup looks really good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of that before but never tried it! Now that my daughter is becoming a toddler and she is getting picky about her food (especially veggies) this would be a great idea!
    *I found your blog on Mom Blogger~Christian Moms Group*
    I will be following!!

    ReplyDelete